The government is providing funding to schools to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools.
The premium is spent on making additional and sustainable improvements to the provision of PE and sport for the benefit of all pupils to encourage the development of healthy, active lifestyles.
This means that schools should use the premium to:
- The engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity – kick-starting healthy active lifestyles
- The profile of PE and sport being raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvement
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- Increased participation in competitive sport
All children in Year 4 attend swimming lessons led by a qualified swimming instructor so that they can all:
- Swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of 25 metres
- Use a range of strokes effectively
- Perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations